The era of peace envisioned in the post-Cold War era has instead yielded to instability, with the emergence of new threats in the absence of a new or renewed stabilizing balance of power. Paraguay, Central and South America and the entire hemisphere must evaluate and finally choose the right integration and exchange policies. Obstacles and opportunities to build a future of shared peace and prosperity must also be identified as part of this process. The panel will discuss how regional blocs such as ASEAN, The European Union, MERCOSUR, NAFTA, CAFTA-DR, or other Free Trade Agreements have defined national roles, and whether they should integrate or operate autonomously to advance regional development.
Moderator: Dr. Bernardino Cano Radil Political Scientist
- H.E. Juan Carlos Wasmosy Former President of Paraguay
- H.E. Jorge Batlle Ibáñez Former President of Uruguay
- H.E. Álvaro Colom Former President of Guatemala
- H.E. Jaime Paz Zamora Former President of the Republic of Bolivia
- H.E. Elías Antonio Saca González Former President of El Savador
- H.E. Nicolás Ardito Barletta Vallarino Former President ofPanama