Opening Session – Working Together to Achieve the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals: United Nations, Youth and Multi-stakeholders
On 25 September 2015, the 193 countries of the UN General Assembly adopted the 2030 Development Agenda titled Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Following the adoption, UN agencies, under the umbrella of the United Nations Development Group, decided to support a campaign by several independent entities, among them corporate institutions and International Organizations. The overall success of the SDGs depends on youth engagement because youth are critical thinkers, change makers, innovators, communicators and leaders. Young people are active drivers of change in local communities. Young people have a role in engaging people at the grassroots level and a role in communicating the goals to a wider society.
- Dr. Marco Roncarati, Social Affair Officer, UNESCAP
- Diane Melley, Vice-President, Global Citizenships Initiatives, IBM
- Amb. Young-mok Kim, Former President, Korea International Cooperation Agency
- Pramod Sharma, President, Yuvsatta
- David Caprara, Vice-President, Global Peace Foundation
- Moderator: Dr. Markandey Rai, Senior Advisor, UN Habitat